Wednesday 8 April 2020

What Day is It?


I'm starting to lose track of what day it is. Hay has trouble being cooped up, but I have no problem with it; I'm happy in my own skin, so long as I have my books. Perfect time to catch up on a bit of reading.

I think that one unintended consequence of this lock-down is the number of companies that come to realise they can trust their workers to work from home, as well as the savings to be made. No expensive office space, no heating bills, no council tax - and fewer car journeys will unclog the roads as well as reduce both pollution and the amount of CO2 pumped into the atmosphere. It might also give a boost to electric cars, as people's journeys will be shorter if they move to home working.

It won't be so good for the oil producing countries, but that's not necessarily a bad thing and could result in less financing of Islamist terrorism. Nor will it do much for office rents, which will plummet. Excess office space could be used to resolve the housing crisis - another plus.

We've decided to go away for Easter - thank God it's a short working week this week (and next).


We thought we'd go for a short holiday to the bottom of the garden. I pity those who always work from home and can't eave the office...

Mrs Trellis of North Wales (my regular reader) will know that I track my electricity usage and solar generation on a daily basis and can thus discern annual fluctuations, which over the last 6 years have shown a gradual increase in average yearly sunshine.


Another indicator I'm starting to consider recording is the day I move from trousers to shorts, which I did yesterday.

No.2 Son, who is currently working in Tesco, is appalled by the number of families that go to shop in Tesco, as if it's a day out, oblivious to the fact they're needlessly exposing their partner and kids to the virus unnecessarily and unwittingly aiding its spread. Idiots. Tesco should allow only single shoppers in the store.

Had our first case in Chipping Sodbury in a new elderly housing complex next to Waitrose. I guess that will mean longer queues at Tesco and Morrison's now.


1 comment:

Roger said...

Dear Chairman Bill,
You are correct about working st home. Apart from those that are furloughed my engineering team is now working at home and it works really well. Communication between team members has improved so much and I now believe that we are more efficient.
I have to go into the office once or twice a week and driving through Leicester at 09.00 is like a Sunday morning.
I definitely think that we will review our working practices going forward when we get back to whatever the new normal will be.
By the way; I read you piece every day but I rarely comment, just do that you know that you have st least one more reader.
With kindest regards,
Roger from Lincolnshire