Tuesday 19 July 2022

The Unattainable GT6

My regular reader will be aware that I've been looking for a Triumph GT6 to rebuild and renovate. On Monday, one of our contacts ('our' being my mate and I, working in the car trade) were offered a rather nice GT6 to sell on behalf of the owner.

I wish I had £13k to buy this example. OK, the paint has been blobbed on and has rubbed off in a few places on the bonnet, but it's easily fixable by someone who knows how to spray a car - like me.

I made this little video of it.


Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my R129 Mercedes SL500's loom to be rebuilt before I can sell it. Without that being done, and the consequent misfire, I'd be lucky to get £5,000 for it, but with the loom rebuilt it's worth at least double that. Then there's the fact we have to pay our builder to finish the workshop and garage in August, leaving me a tad short of ready cash.

All this means I can't afford a near-perfect GT6 at this time. In any case, I'm more interested in a solid, but tatty shed of a car that I can lavish time and attention on, which would be more like £5-7k.


What I particularly like about the GT6 is the fact that the engine can easily be worked on, as the bonnet forms the entire front of the car.

Then there's the shape, which is a little more redolent of an E-Type Jag than the MGBs I've previously rebuilt. GT6s were called the Poor Man's E-Type when they came out.

Finally the 2.0L, 6 cylinder Triumph Vitesse engine that it uses was a gorgeous little powerplant in its day.


Having chrome wires and a Motolita steering wheel makes this example quite desirable, if non-standard for the year. The lack of A/C could be combatted by the installation of a Webasto sunroof, although I dare say purists would disagree with cutting holes in the roof.

It has a few issues, such as rattly suspension bits and track rod ends, but as I said, there's nothing terminal - it passed an MoT in June and drives well. It also has an overdrive.

It is, however, a 1972 MkIII, which is not as desirable as the earlier MkI or MkII. 

Here's an example of a MkII.


A more rounded back end (the MkIII has the rear end of a Triumph Stag) and more lavish chrome.

The MkIII, being less desirable, is an ideal project for conversion to a 2.5L Triumph TR6 engine, if you can find one. Even better, although very difficult to shoehorn in, is the Rover 3.5L V8 SD1, as fitted to the MGB GT V8. The V8 can be fitted within the existing metalwork, but only with some modifications to the bonnet; however, most conversions are performed by lowering the chassis at the front so as to avoid spoiling the lines of the bonnet and making it look like a dragster.


No comments: