Monday 11 January 2010

Education


I love this quote by the novelist Anatole France; "Nine tenths of education is encouragement."

I thank both my teachers at school and my parents for having encouraged me to start the quest for knowledge. I learned infinitely more after leaving school than when attending, as the aforementioned people had sown the necessary seeds. Thanks to them I shall never complete my education.

Yesterday I learned that, counter-intuitively, water at 100 degrees centigrade can freeze faster than water at 35 degrees. It's called the Mpemba Effect.


3 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

"When I think back at all the crap I learned in High School,
It's a wonder I can think at all"

Kabbalah Rookie said...

A friend of mine learned the Mpemba Effect when she poured a kettle of boiling water on the windscreen of her Merc to de-ice it.
Curious to know how you found this new knowledge!

Chairman Bill said...

Alan: In my day only gils went to High Skool. Is there something you're not telling us?

Kabbalah: Hay told me and I didn't believer her.