Wednesday 13 July 2011

Basket Case?


If the Euro is a basket case, then why was I getting nearly 1 for 1 against the £ (with commission and service charges) at Travelex yesterday?

If Italy is the next country to become a financial basket case, why does it cost 10 Euros for a bowl of cereal or a yoghurt, 16 Euros for a tomato and mozzarella salad and 13 Euros for a bowl of soup?

I thought the wines were good value at between 11 and 17 Euros (it being Italy), before I realised it was for a glass and not a bottle.

If you're thinking of holidaying in Italy - don't. I now fully expect European finance ministers to criticise my recommendation and accuse me of starting a run on the banks throughout Europe.

Also try to avoid LHR T5 like the plague - it's like Tesco on a Saturday morning, except the goods on display are overpriced and tacky. The only normal shop there is WH Smith; the rest I wouldn't step into if my life depended on it.

Particularly avoid the ersatz sushi shop - the food is a monstrous facsimile of Japanese food at the price of the genuine article, but looked so obviously 'English' as to be off-putting to anyone who has eaten real Japanese food. It looked like Japanese food from the Tesco Value range. Hideous!


No comments: