Sunday 30 April 2017

Whimsical Lamps for the Media Gladiators


We had a day out at Chesil Beach yesterday, as I've never seen it before. Hated the Weymouth / Portland end, (very industrial and somewhat run down) but the Abbotsbury end is worth a visit if you're in the area. 

On the way back we called in at a couple of reclamation yards in Glastonbury and Wells, at the latter of which I spotted this whimsical, upcycled desk lamp, which would make a good present for any motor mechanic.


Am I the only one who has noticed that Facebook is becoming just one long list of adverts?

Time was when I bought the Sunday Times, had a quick glance at the headlines for anything to pontificate about here, see what was upsetting Jeremy Clarkson or Rod Liddle and check out something interesting in the Sunday Tomes Magazine. Lately, however, it has turned into 30 odd pages of adverts, some columns from the Theresa May fan club, Clarkson and Liddle have become as predictable as your grandad repeating the same old jokes every time you see him and I can't remember when I last read an interesting (let alone relevant) article in the magazine. I'm paying £2.50 for just the Culture magazine, with the rest immediately going into the recycling. It's seeming a total waste of money.

The noble sport of boxing. Can't say it sits easy with me - it's a relic of gladiatorial contests and belongs in a less civilized age. I don't have the same qualms about other martial arts, as the object generally isn't to beat someone around the head and risk giving them an aneurysm or brain damage.


No comments: