Saturday 16 September 2017

Fresher Hunting Solution


Well, seems I was wrong about the portrait. My friend George Spearing has discovered it's Frederick Francis I, Grand Duke of Mecklenberg-Schwerin, and the portrait is by Rudolph Suhrlandt, court painter to Fredrick Francis.


George says: "I'd like to say it was my vast historical/art knowledge but nothing so impressive. I used Googles 'reverse image' function to find him. Cropped and copied the main part of the image from your blog. Brought up Google search in my browser - selected the 'Images' function and then clicked on the icon of a camera that's to the right of the search panel. Uploaded the cropped image of Frederick, and Google then produced the mirror image. (and close variants)." Never knew Google had that function.

Hunting with dogs developed to hone the knight's skill while not engaged on campaign - it exercised his horse and ensured his riding skills were kept at peak performance in case he was called up to go to war. It was also a means of obtaining game for the pot. Doing it as a sport, with no thought to using the kill as food, is against my principles, as it is with a lot of people. However, when it comes to hunting with birds of prey, a lot of people are more accepting and see it as romantic. Prey is generally nothing larger than a hare, although an eagle can indeed take down a fox. Unless used as a means of obtaining essential food, I'm still against this, as a bird of prey should not be kept in captivity.

Any thoughts from the audience? Yes - the lady with the Aussie hat!

Taking No.1 Son to university this morning - a whole new adventure for him.



1 comment:

Tertius said...

Foretop for the father, RoHo for the child. Worked for me.