Tuesday 30 July 2024

Another Project

I have another project to work on. Well, more accurately, both Hay and I have a new project - a micro camper.

Through my part-time work I have the opportunity to buy a Peugeot Partner van. The company I work for has a deal with a local car parts delivery company to buy their old vans, which are high mileage, but well maintained.




It's 8 years old, has 180k miles on the clock and has a 1.6 litre diesel engine, rendering over 50 mpg. It has a hideous knock, but I believe, from the location, that it's nothing more serious than a loose exhaust bracket. I've driven it for well over 200 miles and it behaves perfectly.

Hay wants to convert it into a daily car that's also a day van micro-camper. 

At £2k it's well under the retail price and therefore worth doing. Not being renowned for my wood butchery skills (except for veneering), we both agree that using the expertise of our tame builder and neighbour for making the carcase of a bed and a utility cupboard would be better than leaving it to me. In any case, Hay has some ideas about exactly what she wants, so a ready-made conversion kit wouldn't be suitable. It's already lined with plywood, which reduces the cost of conversion. 

Watch this space - if I buy it. We're first going the check out the source of the knock and confirm it's nothing expensive before shelling out.


No comments: