Sunday 5 May 2024

Expansion

I've never used expanding polyurethane foam before, as you can tell.


I thought I'd apply some to the gaps around the door from the garage into the workshop. Never bargained for an expanded foam doorstop too....

Bloody stuff has a life of its own and goes everywhere. It's impossible to get off your hands if you touch it, unless you have some acetone, which luckily I did. The main problem with the stuff is that you've no idea as to how much it will expand - as you can see.

I did test it for memory in relation to using it instead of foam rubber for the GT6 dashboard top - and it has very little. By memory, I mean whether it rebounds when dented by a finger. It does rebound slightly, but a depression remains and the elasticity is negligible, as you'd expect with something that's meant solely for filling gaps.

It does, however, take well to cutting into shape when cured, not that I have a use for that attribute at the present time - well, certainly not in the Death Star I'm building in the workshop area....


No comments: