Tuesday 16 June 2009

Tuesday 16/06/09

Hay is convinced I’m part fly. She’s never known someone who can scuzz a wineglass quite like I do, leading her to think that – like a fly – I part regurgitate the wine onto the glass before drinking it.

She was reading an article from the Sunday Times’ Homes supplement and creased up with laughter at the names in a highlighted family (see page 2 of the article); Perry Hayden-Taylor, his wife Vik and their children, Perpetua (7), Helvetica (4) and Clarendon (1). Strange to name all your kids after typefaces, it makes you wonder whether these ex Battersea (pronounced Bater-zee-a) people and their 11 bedroom Somerset home are real. I think the editor is having us on.

Watched a DVD of the film ‘Withnail and I’ last night. One of the funniest films I’ve seen in ages. Danny the Dealer and Uncle Monty are superb. My favourite words from the film are those said by Withnail during their sojourn in the Lake District: “Excuse me, can you help us? We’ve gone on holiday by mistake.”



Get hold of the copy of the DVD – you won’t be disappointed.

2 comments:

Jennysmith said...

Hi bill. Yes, Withnail and I is quite wonderful. Want my kids to see it when they're bigger

My mate actually reminds me of Uncle Monty so don't want him near Son's friends when they grow up xxxxx

kapgaf said...

Shakespeare started the whole name thing with Arial...