Thursday 28 June 2018

Upsetting People in Car Parks with Smart Lock


Overheard at 08:30:

Hay: "Is Bruno not going into school this morning?"

Chairman: "How many times have we had this conversation - he doesn't go into school till the afternoon on Tuesdays."

Hay: "And what day is it today?"

Chairman: "Err - Wednesday..... But it was Tuesday yesterday..."

I've been having issues with the Smart Lock feature on my Samsung Galaxy S8+. The location based unclock hasn't been working for many months and I was at my wits' end as to how to resolve the problem - not a single online forum had a solution that worked; however, yesterday I fixed it. I switched off every other Smart Lock feature - voice unlock, on-body detection and trusted devices. Hey Presto - trusted places suddenly worked.

Has anyone else been receiving Facebook generated What We Do Together Matters videos on their timeline? These things worry me - some of the people pictured in the video stills are dead, some have left their partners and married other people. I do wish social media generated things didn't appear on my timeline - some people might be upset by them if I inadvertently posted them. Mind you, when did I last worry about stuff I post upsetting people?

Talking of upsetting people - if you're talking to a German football supporter, don't mention the VAR.


What with taking up rollerblading as a hobby, I was wondering why there's such a marked difference between a skating helmet and a bicycle helmet. Apparently the bicycle helmet is designed to protect your head from one, potentially catastrophic blow from say a car, whereas a skating helmet is designed for repeated minor blows and doesn't need to be replaced after just one accident. Makes sense when you think about it - you're likely to fall over more often when skating than cycling. Someone on Facebook Market in Malmesbury is giving a skating helmet away for free and I'm collecting it later today.

I upgraded from the shopping centre car park for my early morning rollerblading practice sessions to the local Waitrose car park - it's a better class of car park. I discovered that the Waitrose car park is on a slight incline, which I never knew before - it's not that evident in a car and adds a new dimension to the practice sessions. Still haven't fallen over yet.


No comments: