Wednesday 26 June 2019

Wheel-Free Car Sandwich


Saw an advert om TV last night for Quorn in which someone was making a wrap. At the end the screen was plastered with the words; "Chicken-free wrap." Isn't that the same as making a jam sandwich and calling that a chicken-free sandwich?


Yesterday I was called out to assist a colleague with a flat tyre. Got to his house and discovered it was one of those cars that, in the interests of weight saving and fuel economy, has no spare wheel, no jack and no wheel brace, but it was provided with a canister of tyre-weld. 

I initially tried to inflate the flat tyre with the air pump, but it made no impact whatsoever, indicating a very severe puncture. "OK," thinks I; "I'll use my own car's jack and wheel-brace to remove the wheel and take it to the local Kwik-Fit." But my VW wheel-brace didn't fit the wheel nuts on my colleague's Ford. So, I decided to use the tyre-weld - a product I'd never used before. 

I connected the canister and started pumping the latex into the tyre, but it immediately started to leak out of the inside edge of the tyre - the bead between the tyre and the rim was broken, meaning the wheel had been kerbed and the only solution was removal of the wheel and a new tyre. 

Finally managed to source a universal wheel-brace from the local Kwit-Fit and accomplished the job, but only after several trips up and down between Chipping Sodbury and Wickwar.

Now, if that happened to you on a motorway you'd have no option but to call out the AA or the RAC. and if it was at an inconvenient time you could be facing a night in an hotel - all to save a minimal amount of fuel. Give me a car with a spare wheel any day.


2 comments:

Roger said...

I have an Audi which, when I bought it, had no spare wheel but it came with an electric pump and a can full of some magic glue. I have those items replaced with a spare wheel, jack and tool kit which obviously cost extra money, the guy at the garage invoiced these items separately as he said that if it was invoiced with the car then the Co2 value would have to be increased. When I asked why he didn't know but assumed that it was due to the increased rare weight.
My wife's Mini has no spare wheel, no jack, and no means of sealing or inflating a tyre! Thankfully she doesn't go far as it does not use runflats either.

brittanymlemay said...

i really like this article please keep it up. semi truck decals