Saturday 30 March 2024

Pilgrimage

On Wednesday we went up to Thornton-le-Dale in Yorkshire to see Mathewson's Classic Car Auctions, famed for the TV programme Bangers & Cash.

On the way there we spotted a scruffy dog trotting along the hard shoulder on the M42 with something in its mouth. There were no cars nearby on the hard shoulder and nor were there any houses nearby. Curious.



We camped in a motorhome literally just behind their HQ for 3 nights. You can see my face where we were and the building at the bottom of the image is Mathweson's. Small campsite that doesn't cost very much at all, but I bet it's rammed on auction days.


Unfortunately there was no auction taking place this weekend.

Hay wasn't too impressed with the shop, which mainly sells Mathweson's promotional stuff; however, as I explained to her, what else are they going to sell? Their main stock in trade is sold in the auction.

Women, eh?




There was an interesting item in the shop - an engine made entirely from wood by a model maker in 2021.



You really can't see that it's made from wood - it's so realistic. Naturally, it doesn't work.

Here's a short video showing the campsite (our motorhome is in the top right of the field behind Mathewson's) and the Thornton le Dale site, which contains the shop. Auctions are held in the Village Hall opposite.


Before catching the bus to Whitby, we walked just over a mile to Mathweson's other site at Pickering where I had a chat with Paul Mathewson, who was prepping a car trailer for a collection. I asked him whether the public were allowed into the warehouse to look at the lots, but be told me their insurance only allows that just prior to an auction.





He did sanction some drone footage, but the wind was too high and I didn't have enough time.

Then an hour journey on a lovely bus to Whitby. There were announcements all along the way telling us what we were passing. You could also charge your mobile from recharging points and some seats had electrical sockets, just like trains.

At Whitby we had to take in Whitby Abbey.




I managed to get some drone footage, although the wind was rather high and I only managed less than a minute.

We're coming back today, minus a dilapidated E-Type I could have rebuilt, had one been available and had it been auction day. That is, however, something I'd like to do after I finish the GT6.


No comments: