Monday 14 October 2024

The Other House

For a couple of months we've been suffering from a very slow internet speed - around 5mbps download as against the 27mbps we should be getting. The week before last it decided to die completely.

Until an engineer could get out to us, Vodafone gave me unlimited data for a month on my phone, which was all well and good while I was in the house and everyone was using my hotspot, but useless when I was out.

Anyway, the engineer duly attended and discovered that Outreach, while doing some work on the cabinet in the street a while ago, had connected us to the internet for the wrong house - one 300m further toward the epicentre of Old Sodbury.


We're now seeing 40mbps and are forecast to get fibre in 2026, which will be simple to implement, as our service comes through overhead lines and not underground cables.

However, we've since discovered that Hay's dad, next door, has lost his internet and phone connection. Vodafone maintain his router is up and running, even when I unplug it. Someone has made a right mess of the local connections, and I think the responsibility lies with OutReach. The engineer is due today - I just hope that once it's fixed we're not back to zero.


No comments: