I watch quite a lot of films on YouTube, and some of the independent filmmakers on there are very good indeed. Properly good. People making thoughtful documentaries, short films and technical pieces without a broadcaster, studio or commissioning editor breathing down their neck. The price, apparently, is that every so often YouTube barges into the room and attempts to sell me something I do not want.
And I always do exactly the same thing. The instant that little countdown reaches zero, I press Skip. Not sometimes, not usually. Every single time. I do not wait to see how the advert ends, click through, or suddenly discover that what has been missing from my life is a new mattress, razor, meal kit, insurance policy or whatever other piece of tat the algorithm has decided to wave at me. I press Skip.
You would have thought that after a while the system might have noticed. This is, after all, an industry which never stops telling us how clever its algorithms are. They supposedly know what I watch, what I search for, what I pause on, what I abandon and what I am likely to buy. So surely somewhere in the machine there is now a fairly robust data point saying that this man skips every advert at the first possible opportunity and is therefore an appalling advertising prospect.
But perhaps that is to misunderstand the business model. Perhaps YouTube knows perfectly well that I am not a worthwhile target and simply does not care, because I can still be counted.
In that respect it is really not very different from old-fashioned commercial television. ITV never knew whether I was actually interested in the washing powder, the car or the life insurance policy. It simply sold advertisers access to an audience and interrupted the programme to deliver that audience. Commercial television could at least plead ignorance, because it had no idea which viewers had wandered off to make a cup of tea, gone to the lavatory or simply stopped paying attention.
YouTube does know. It can see that I skip at the first possible moment. It can see that I have done so repeatedly, and presumably has years of evidence telling it that putting another advert in front of me is extraordinarily unlikely to result in a sale. Yet it carries on doing it anyway.
That is what makes the modern version rather more cynical than the old television model. The old pitch was essentially, “We have several million viewers and some of them may be interested in your product.” The modern version can amount to, “We know a great deal about this particular viewer, including the fact that he has shown absolutely no inclination to watch an advert beyond the point at which we allow him to escape, but we can still put your advert in front of him.”
And there is the point. An advert can still be inserted, a brand can still be shown and another tiny unit of supposed exposure can be manufactured and sold. Whether I am remotely interested begins to look almost beside the point. YouTube does not necessarily need to believe I am going to buy the product. It merely needs an advertiser willing to pay for the opportunity to try.
So underneath all the grand talk of behavioural targeting, machine learning and personalisation, we seem to have arrived back at commercial television with better surveillance. Interrupt the thing somebody actually wants to watch, stick an advert in front of them and charge somebody else for the privilege.
The clever part may not be working out what I want to buy at all. It may simply be working out exactly how much unwanted advertising YouTube can force me to tolerate without annoying me enough to leave the platform. I skip the advert, mutter something unprintable and carry on watching the film, so from YouTube's point of view the system is working beautifully.
The algorithm may know perfectly well that I am a dreadful advertising target.
But somebody is still paying YouTube to put the advert in front of me.
And that is the bit that matters.


No comments:
Post a Comment