Thursday 6 June 2019

Deco Daleks


On Tuesday we visited Coleton Fishacre, the country house of the D'Oyly Carte family.


It's a beautiful, 1920s house in the Art Deco style with extensive gardens, designed by a student of Lutyens. In one of the rooms we saw an HMV room heater, which was designed by Christian Barman and is an Art Deco icon.



It is said that this room heater was the inspiration behind the heads of the Daleks. I found one on eBay which has been converted into a lamp - unsympathetically, I'd say.


Another had sold on eBay a couple of years ago for £60. Wish I'd known at the time. I'll be keeping an eye out for one...

I bought a rail chair for Hay from the South Devon Steam Railway in Staverton. It was made in 1925 for the GWR and will double as a boot scraper / boot remover.


Nice bit of ironmongery repurposing.


No comments: