Sunday 4 December 2022

Bus Pass

When I became eligible for an OAP bus pass I never bothered to apply for one, as I never use a bus locally; however, we do tend to use buses when we go away in our motorhome, so I applied for one a couple of weeks ago, It arrived yesterday.


Free, off-peak bus travel countrywide! I believe some pensioners have used these to travel all over the country for free, using a plethora of local buses and careful planning.

If we go to,  for example, Buxton, which is one of our favourite camping spots, and set up shop at the campsite just outside the town, we usually take the bus to Bakewell and back, which is a fair old distance and quite expensive for two. This will certainly reduce the cost.

Also, given I'm starting to have age related trouble with one knee (being X-rayed next week for a full diagnosis) and Hay has the energy of a nuclear power station when walking, I can see the occasions occurring when I would perhaps prefer getting a bus back from a long walk, although I have yet to see a bus stop on the Southwest Coast Path.

The pass is for off-peak use only and in Liverpool holders of a bus pass are called Twirlies. The reason for this is that they proffer their bus passes around the time peak becomes off-peak and ask; "Too early." Say it in a Scouse accent and all becomes clear.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've used our twirlies in The Lakes - long walk there - bus back , sorted !!