Friday 1 September 2023

Taking the Bait

I got told off last night for making the dinner. We had gammon steaks, baked jacket potatoes and peas with sweetcorn, except I wasn't meant to use the sweetcorn.


On asking Hay to get some veg on the way home from work, she messaged me to say there was oodles of frozen veg in the fridge, so I selected the frozen peas and frozen sweetcorn, unaware that the sweetorn was intended as bait for the koi in our pond.

We have three koi - a large one which was put into the pond as a joke by one of my friends some 3 years ago, and two smaller ones that weren't thriving in Hay's dad's pond and went in earlier this year.

Hay is firmly convinced, despite my protestations to the contrary, that these three koi in a pond that's 11m x 5m x 1.5m are making the pond murky. She therefore decided to hunt them down and move them to another (yet to be determined) location.

As part of this strategy, she bought what I can only describe as a lobster pot. The bait she was going to use was sweetcorn. Her sister, who lives nextdoor, left some frozen sweetcorn in our freezer specifically for this purpose. I used it for dinner. How was I to know?


1 comment:

David Boffey said...

'How was I to know?' Male intuition?