Saturday 27 April 2024

A Man With 2 Thermometers

Last September I bought a couple of infrared heating panels to use in the spare bedroom, rather than use the underfloor heating. This was because the spare bedroom is at the end of the underfloor heating circuit and is a) difficult to heat and b) is used only rarely, so heating the entire floor area would be wasteful.

In the last month I noticed that one of the heaters was registering an ambient temperature far in excess of the other by about 7 degrees. The room thermostat confirmed this. The result is that to obtain a reasonable and harmonious temperature, I had to set the faulty one to cut out at a temperature 7 degrees higher than the other one.

On the strength of this I contacted the manufacturer who kindly offered to replace the panel with the faulty thermostat. It duly arrived and I mounted it next to the old one, only to discover that it too was reading higher than the old one, but only by 4 degrees.


It would transpire that the thermostats are not that accurate. It's the classic man with two watches problem - he doesn't know the true time if both are showing slightly different times.

I put the original faulty one in the workshop where it doesn't really matter if I have to set it higher as, being only 700W it's unlikely to ever cut out anyway and I can set it really high to stay on permanently when I want to use it.



No comments: