Wednesday 24 April 2024

A New Project

I really need doors on my new garage. Not just for warmth, but protection from the rain when the wind is in the wrong direction. I'll certainly need it for spraying the GT6 with some coats of primer.

Found this simple and yet elegant solution on YouTube.

OSB is relatively cheap, but plywood is lighter and stronger for the same thickness. It's also less prone to warping, so I'd prefer to use ply. I would probably face it with composite cladding in grey, to match the colour of the garage's oak cladding and provide weather protection. 

Perspex windows at the top would be beneficial for light, but not at the cost of strength or water integrity - any lips would allow rainwater to pool on the lip and possibly get into the ply. 

Not sure whether to do it myself or contract our tame builder, Colin, to do it. Knowing my wood butchery skills, Colin would probably be the better bet. He's a practitioner of the 'measure 3 times before cutting' school of woodworkology, whereas I go more by the 'well, it looks about right' school.

A job for summer.


No comments: