Monday 15 April 2024

Rip-Off Kwik Fit

I had occasion to replace some rear light cluster bulbs on my Ford Galaxy yesterday. A brake light has been out since my MoT in December and I've been putting off replacing it - I was determined to do it yesterday. It was Sunday, so the only place that was open and sold bulbs was Kwik-Fit in Yate.



The bastards charged me £40 (less a few pence) for 3 light bulbs. £12.95 for an indicator bulb, £13.95 for a brake light and £12.95 for a 501 bulb, plus some £6.64 in VAT. I wanted 4 x 501 bulbs, as there's a cluster of them which are not critical, but nevertheless need replacing, but luckily they didn't have them, else I would have been looking at paying a fortune. 

The galling thing is that one of the bulbs was a spare, which I didn't need urgently. I wish I'd waited till Monday when the local Car Components shop would be open.

The 501s are no more than £3 each on e-Bay, the brake light is £4.99 for two and the indicator light is £5.28 for two.

Kwik Fit are bona-fide Rip-off merchants. My own fault for paying - I know - should have refused, but the light clusters on the back of the car were already dismantled (took me a bloody hour) and I need the car today.


3 comments:

fatboyburton said...

501 light bulbs are £1.29 each including vat at Europarts

Chairman Bill said...

£1.29 each? Rip off. 3 for £1.50 at Car Components in Chipping Sodbury.

John said...

Kwik Fit ripping you off.Was that a light bulb moment 😂