Tuesday 22 January 2019

Ecumenical, Multicultural Mountainism


I shared a photo if some mountain in Snowdonia on Facebook yesterday and a friend asked whether it was so-and-so mountain. I replied that I didn't have a clue, as all mountains tend to look the same to me. It was only after making this statement that I thought it could have been somewhat mountainist...


We visited a walkers' cafe while traversing the Snowdonia National Park on the way home and I was surprised to see they had ecumenical toilets. I suppose walkers are quite a pragmatic lot and aren't too bothered as to who is in the cubicle next to them.

For those who say multiculturalism hasn't worked in the UK, they should take a look at Wales. A very distinct culture, if you ask me. When I was a kid at school in Llanfair PG, Anglesey was one of the last bastions of Welsh speakers. Since then, all schools teach Welsh and it's compulsory. We now have a situation where even people of 100% English descent that live in Wales are able to speak Welsh fluently.

I still can't abide Welsh road signs though - it's a nightmare trying to decipher them and pick out the intelligible parts from the car crash of double ls and double ds.


No comments: