Sunday 18 August 2019

Counting Sheep


If I'm having trouble getting back to sleep after waking in the night, I have a rather strange way of tackling the problem - I have two similar strategies; one is to imagine Oliver Cromwell's army harrying the Scottish army as it moved south along the east coast before beating it decisively at the Battle of Worcester. The 2nd is imagining the collaboration of John Churchill,the Duke of Marlborough, and Prince Eugene of Savoy to destroy the French army at the Battle of Blenheim, which secured both their reputations.


The image above is of the Duke of Marlborough greeting Eugene after the Battle of Blenheim.

I have no idea why I choose this method of getting to sleep, but it does work for me. It might possibly be to do with the writing styles of Antonia Fraser, who's biography of Cromwell is a favourite of mine, as well as the writing style of General Viscount Wolseley, who wrote a two volume biography of Marlborough in 1894, which is also a perennial favourite. I only have volume 2 of the latter book, which I found in a charity shop a number of years ago. It is annotated as a gift to someone called Caroline Mary Jennings of Bloomfield Hall, Sunningdale, which I can find no reference to, in 1903.


No comments: