Saturday 22 August 2020

Hacking the Hackers


I've always preached the emptying of your email service's contents each and every day, paying particular attention to the deleted folder. If hackers get into your mailbox, there's no end of personal, if not financial information, they can access.


I use Gmail to collect my inbound mail, using a local version of Outlook to download them to my computer and Aqua Mail Pro to download them to my smartphone. At the start of every day, I delete the entire contents of my on-line Gmail account - there's no point in having my emails there, as I already have local copies on my phone and laptop. In fact, I have all my emails going back to at least 2006 on my laptop.

I use my personal URL's mail server for outbound mail, which I cc to myself on Gmail, so there are never any sent emails in my Gmail account - they're all in my inbound folder so that outbound messages and replies are in the same place.

It struck me yesterday that a tasty form of retribution against hackers is to leave a single email in your on-line Gmail account in a folder called 'Passwords', attaching a pernicious virus or Trojan to that email, again called passwords. A hacker simply couldn't resist opening it and getting his or her comeupance.


No comments: