Sunday 15 November 2020

Facebook News Feeds

Yesterday I decided to stop following news media pages on Facebook and I immediately felt much calmer; however, I still get news items that friends may comment on within their feeds - and adverts for expensive crap you can get for half the price on Amazon. Mostly, I'm now seeing what friends post, which is how Facebook started and what it was designed as - a social network. 


I already use Flipboard for my news aggregation - which, incidentally, manages to overcome most of the paywalls - and listen to Today on Radio 4 for several hours each morning, so it's pointless seeing the same stories on Facebook, along with all the inane and stupid comments. 

For about 5 minutes, just for a laugh, I decided to follow the Facebook page of the Daily Express, which I've never followed before, but lost the will to live at the sheer idiocy of the comments. I wonder how some of them manage to walk and breathe at the same time. It's a silo of misinformation on the subject of Brexit, which appears to be its main preoccupation.

Ended up in an hour long argument with a Brexiteer who was calling for No Deal and was spectacularly unable to provide me with one single benefit of Brexit to his daily life, as well as being blissfully ignorant of the link between tariffs and end-user prices in the shops. At least I left him knowing that his vote would cost him more for his groceries and, possibly, his job. He left convinced he could make his own laws.

I heard the Today programme being started with the National Anthem yesterday, which was apparently for Prince Charles' 72nd birthday. When is he going to retire? He's surely lost all interest in being king by now.


No comments: