Saturday 28 November 2020

Timers

Overheard while planning a trip after lockdown:

Chairman: "What's the fastest route to Dorchester?"

Hay: "Driving or walking?"

Chairman: "Driving."

Hay: "Yes, I agree that'll be fastest."

This experiment with unfollowing Facebook news sites is becoming a bit boring - I'm seeing the same posts over and over again and an increased percentage of totally irrelevant adverts.

Wouldn't it be great if you could add a self-destruct timer to your posts, especially the more topical ones based on news reports that will become stale in a short time. Your friend Jimmy's latest restaurant meal should have a self-destruct timer on it too. Perhaps the application could automatically delete any from your view that were posted prior to a pre-set limit that you can set - say anything older than 24 hours doesn't show. For all I know, this might actually be an option in the settings.


Talking of Apps, I've noticed of late that SoundHound app no longer seems capable of recognising music tracks. I installed Apple's Shazam yesterday, which works on Android phones. It never fails and is much quicker than SoundHound used to be before it stopped working altogether. 

Yesterday Hay decided to go through my wardrobe in order to chuck out anything she no longer liked, or didn't fit me anymore. She was surprised to discover that, with the exception of coats, I have only one item of clothing that I bought new. That was my Game of Thrones winter jumper that I only wear at Christmas. Everything else was bought at charity shops. Having watched the 3 part series on The Great Plague over the weekend, perhaps I should curtail my visits to charity shops - apparently 2nd hand clothes were a prime vector in the spread of plague. Mind you, body lice are not as prevalent these days.


No comments: