Monday 8 February 2021

Moore's Law

I'm constantly amazed at the rate at which the size and price of computer storage storage decreases. Moore's Law is alive and well.


I bought this little jobbie last week. It's a 1 Terabyte flash drive with USB connections for a laptop, an iPhone and two types of Android phones. Cost? £29. 

This tiny device contains virtually everything I've done digitally since around 1997. 

I use Dropbox to keep my laptop and phone synched with all my data, but I have a problem with my Galaxy Note 9, in that the SD card can't be formatted as internal memory, which precludes it from being used for the Dropbox data. That means I have to use the phone's onboard memory, which is at 98% usage. A severe and limiting design fault.

I could possibly overcome this by rooting the phone and flashing it with another operating system that facilitates SD card memory being used, but I've resisted this to date, as my phone contract is nearing its end and the phone itself is showing signs of instability with its 4G connection. It occasionally disconnects (probably due to a fault in the aerial circuitry) and I have to flex the phone to re-establish the connection. Sometimes it can be a week between the problem showing and at other times it can happen half a dozen times or more in a single day.


No comments: