Thursday 24 January 2019

Exercise Watch


Following on from yesterday's post on watches, I was going to make a comment on the Brexit watch - it's stuck at 50 years ago, lies about the time and blames the EU; however, someone has already made one.


I've been persevering with the press-up challenge and am now able to perform 50 press-ups in one go. Still far short of the target of 100, but I am doing 200 press-ups a day in total. I start with 50 first thing in the morning (which seems to be the best time to achieve a max) and then do the rest throughout the day in sets of 20 or 30 at a time, whenever time permits. Jumps in the initial set tend to occur in 5s and the frequency of the increases has improved since becoming stuck at 40 around Christmas and then deciding to increase the total daily number from the single rep to 200.

In support of Hay and her winter wild swimming, I've also adopted a cold shower regime over the last few days. Rather than standing aside and waiting for the shower to warm up before getting under it, I stand under it as I open the faucet, getting a cold water blast for two or three seconds. OK, the water is not exactly icy, but it is lower than ambient temperature, being the water within the spur from the hot water circulatory system, but it certainly feels that way - and sounds that way, judging by the shouts that greet Hay from the bathroom. It's certainly invigorating and sets me up for the day. Curiously, the shock response is decreasing with each cold shower, which it is exactly meant to do. It won't be long before I join Hay in her cold water winter swims.


No comments: