Monday 28 January 2019

Phoneless Brexit Specs


I have early stage cataracts, which make night driving somewhat hazardous as I easily get blinded by oncoming car headlights and find it difficult to differentiate between the road and the grass verge on unlit roads. When we go out in the evening, Hay does the driving now.

I decided to buy myself some night driving glasses, which are meant to help those who have difficulty. Here's the view without and with them on a dull day.



Those with no visual impairment may detect little difference, but they filter out the blue light, which for me has the effect of making everything look brighter and more defined, as well as accentuating the greens. They certainly help during the day and do tend to relieve eye strain. At night they do have an effect on cutting down the headlight glare and accentuating the grass verges on country roads. In town however, they make car headlights and streetlights look the same, which can be somewhat confusing. Opinion on their efficacy differs, but there again it may depend heavily on the affliction. 

The fact everything seems brighter, despite not actually being so, has made me call them my Brexit specs. 

We went out to Nailsworth yesterday and I left home without my phone. I managed to overcome the anxiety and panic when I found out and managed to survive an entire afternoon phoneless....


No comments: