Saturday 29 October 2022

Sourdough

I've spent the last few days trying to resurrect my sourdough starter which has been languishing, forgotten, at the back of the fridge for nigh on a year. I haven't been making any sourdough bread for a long, long time, buying it instead from Aldi, which is easy, but it's also now expensive and isn't real sourdough anyway - no supermarket-bought sourdough is.


By rights my starter should be dead as a Dodo but, miraculously, I managed to bring it back to life. It's now all frothy and veritably jumping with yeast cultures. Baked several loaves with it and the taste is heavenly - the sourness really comes through. 

I originally made the culture some 8 years ago (I think), but added some (allegedly) 100 year old culture from Cumbria that I bought on e-Bay, so it's a melange, but old.


No comments: