Friday 7 October 2022

Workshop Heating

In the absence of a government energy-saving campaign, for a reason that's entirely ideological and bonkers, here's mine.

The new workshop that's being built isn't going to be connected to the underfloor heating that services the rest of the house, meaning I'm going to have to use electricity to heat it, should it need heat at all, and this has been giving me some thought about the most efficient form of electric heating, especially with the current price of electricity.

Earlier this week I delivered the week's milk supply to one of the cabins at the end of our garden, which are both rented by a company called Lupe Technology, in which we are minor shareholders. On entering the door I could feel radian heat on my skin and I wondered where the hell it was coming from, thinking it was an overhearing printer or computer.

On walking toward where I believed the heat was coming from, I was astounded to find it radiating from what looked like a wall mounted whiteboard. On touching it, yes, the heat was belting out from it. Looking around it I noticed a lead coming from the back and going to a wall socket. It was a wall mounted heater disguised as a whiteboard, but it was emitting infrared.


I asked the MD of Lupe where he got these hearers from and did a bit of research - apparently they're one of the most efficient types of electric heaters and aren't at all expensive - £120 for a 700W version. Perfect for the workshop and you can control them via WiFi using a phone App. You can get mirrored ones, or ones with pictures on them.

 

No comments: