Thursday 27 July 2023

Facebook Market Scam

I think I may have found a Facebook Market scam. I can't determine exactly how it actually works, however, I can guess.


I came across a 2017 motorhome which seemed to be priced ridiculously low. On looking at the profile of the vendor, it transpired that he'd placed scores of adverts for cars and motorhomes at almost exactly the same time, all of them well below market price. He had more adverts on the go than a very well stocked car dealership. His profile was devoid of other postings.

I suspect he's copied other people's adverts, as all the images were obviously of different locations, and merely massaged the price. I'm not certain, but I would imagine he either asks for deposits that are never returned when the vehicle in question never materialises, or says he's busy and can't deliver the car, but can arrange for someone to drive it to you for an up-front fee. Naturally, the car never appears.

I found another seller, a female, using exactly the same MO and sent her a message. I got an immediate, automated response directing me to a badly spelled, GMail address.

And then a 3rd scummy seller...

If buying a high ticket item on Facebook Market that's advertised at a stupidly low price, click on the seller's profile and see what else they're selling, and when the items were listed. All being listed at the same time should ring alarm bells.

Stop Press - found loads of them. They're infesting Facebook Market.


1 comment:

David Boffey said...

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2023/07/17/free-cabinet-not-free-magnificently-irritating/
There are quite a lot of tem around