Wednesday 12 August 2015

Missing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html


Perseids, my foot! Spent half an hour at one o'clock in the morning looking for the buggers with nary a one spotted.

They say you're getting old when policemen start to look like kids; well that happened decades ago. I'm starting to look with an expression of mild bemusement when the names of Slebs come up on TV and I haven't a clue as to who they are or what they're allegedly famous for. I've finally started to lose contact with popular culture at the relatively young age of 60.

I recently initiated the free upgrade to Windows 10, but completely lost the ability to launch email or web hyperlinks in Outlook. Searched high and low for a solution, but as Windows 10 is so new there wasn't anything I trusted, as it all referred to previous versions of Windows and ancient versions of Outlook (I'm on 365). Very nearly gave up and rolled back to Windows 7 in disgust.

I finally clicked that the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html was completely missing. Creating it in regedit and populating it with "htmlfile" resolved the issue.

Now whether this was an issue with the original installation of Win10 or a subsequent change made by AVG PC-Tuneup remains to be seen.

Still getting used to Windows 10 - have deleted half the stuff it clutters my screen with as useless nonsense. It makes the most simple tasks to do with changing user permissions, etc. almost impossible.


2 comments:

A Heron's View said...

Something to be said for an Imac - it is all so easy :)

Geo. said...

Having painfully bludgeoned my brain into understanding and accepting 8.1 (which I now quite like) I don't think I'll take the chance on 10 until my laptop detonates and I have to...