Tuesday 2 May 2017

Crook Peak


Yesterday, on a whim, I decided to take Hay to the top of Crook Peak, which is situated at the western end of the Mendips, just below the level of Weston Super-Mare. I've often seen it from the M5 when travelling north from Devon or Cornwall and always wanted to see the scene from the top. The walk to the top and back was just short of an hour and a half (we had numerous stops along the way) and not particularly strenuous. I'd recommend it to  anyone having a basic level of fitness.

The following two images are taken from my tracking app, Great Britian Topo Maps, which is ideal for walkers. The blue line on the left is the M5.




The views on the ascent and from the top are stunning.




Hay having completed the ascent.



Just below the peak is a pile of stones, which previous walkers have used to  spell out messages or their names. I'm not sure the National Trust encourages this.


In the distance, you can see Glastonbury Tor - the Isle of Avalon.


This is Hay having another 'Yes there are two paths you can go by' moment on the way down.


I took a few 360 degree panoramic shots, but the depth of field isn't apparent and it looks as if you're standing in a plain.


A strange thing happened when I was at  the top - Facebook alerted me to the fact that an old school friend and shipmate, who I hadn't seen in over 40 years and has been living in Chile, but recently relocated to Hamburg, was less than 2 km from me in Loxton. However, I  couldn't raise him on Facebook for a pint at a local  hostelry, nor could I determine where in Loxton (which is a hamlet) he was staying. What you might call Seren-mendip-ity.


No comments: