Saturday 6 May 2017

Pay the Victim Metro Mayor


I'm a recent convert to the Android Pay contactless payment system, but what, for the life of me I fail to understand,  is why I can pay whatever amount for my shopping using my mobile phone, but only up to £30 with my contactless debit card. Could it be because a mobile phone has more security features?


Paul Nuttall, the leader of UKIP, has said that UKIhe's the vicitm of its own success. I guess that's political code for UKIP being a victim of his narcissism.

So we in the west have a Tory Metro Mayor at a cost of £1bn over 30 years, plus his salary. Why do we need one? The simple answer is we don't, but the Tory party does. Cities are traditionally Labour strongholds, but by roping in the traditional Tory voters in the shire constituencies, they stand a good chance of diluting the dominance of the city and possibly even gaining overall control - as they did in this case. The Metro Mayor is funded by central government and that money has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it comes at the expense of the city councils. At least that's the way I see it - as a form of centralised control, when what we really need is devolved control. I always thought the Conservatives stood for less government, not more.


No comments: