Sunday 14 October 2018

Sell-By Benefits of the Stereo Retirement Home of Easy Rider


I had a surprise benefit from the stupid system of sell-by dates in Tesco yesterday. I spotted three chunks of Old Amsterdam cheese (aged Gouda, for the uninitiated) that had reached this mysterious date known as the sell-by date. It's aged cheese, for God's sake. The best stuff is aged for at least 12 months and the stuff I bought couldn't have been more than 6 months old, judging by the consistency.


Tesco were selling the stuff at half price, so I bought the lot. Result!

I'm seeing a lot of hoardings on building sites advertising what are called retirement homes. Thinking about it, that means a cheap home, probably with a single bedroom and not enough room in which to swing a cat. That sounds suspiciously like the first-time-buyer home too.

Why are modern TV speakers so crap? Even these sound bars that people buy for them have execrable reviews and aren't much better. Our new UHD TV doesn't have an AUX output, so I've got to invest in a digital optical to AUX  converter. I can connect to my Bose speaker with Bluetooth, but I have to reconnect every time I switch the TV on, which is a pain in the arse. I have a magic box on order from Amazon and will probably get a decent pair of stereo speakers, it's a poor show, however, when you have to go to so much trouble with a brand new TV.

Why is it that  no-one has ever remade the iconic film, Easy Rider? Perhaps it was too much of its time and has no resonance today. There was a 2012 prequel, but it bombed horribly.


3 comments:

kate steeper said...

Youve exposed the secret world of cheese hoarders to the world , I have a freezer with loads of bags of cheese , a stack of Camembert, stuff from allover the world and a fridge with a stack of hard cheese all from the dump site in Tesco for pennies ....now everyone will be there , they will be fighting over the cheese like they do the grey mince

Chairman Bill said...

I layer Lidl Stilton with Lidl Roquefort in Long Clawson Stilton pots, poke holes in it with a skewer and allow it to fester for a few days before bunging it in the fridge. I have about 3 pots on the go at any one time. Produces a really tasty cheese for midnight snacking with a teaspoon.

Roger said...

I had the same problem with our Sony TV. We bought a sound bar which was still crap and now we have a sound plate which is much better. The TV sits on top of The 'plate' which is about 2 1/2 inches thick. I have serious tinnitus and I need rich sound which can be enhanced for speech.