Monday 30 September 2019

Mad Scramble


To ensure I got one of the Lidl, Silvercrest, Dyson look-alike vacuum cleaners that Lidl were selling yesterday, I turned up at 09:40 - a full 20 minutes before the shop opened, just to be sure. To my surprise, there were already about a dozen shoppers there, all intent on getting one of these machines.




The atmosphere was tense - there was open discussion of how many could be snaffled by one individual. As more people turned up, some of them joined the queue while a few placed themselves strategically to one side of the queue, causing a bit of concern over the potential for that mortal or all British sins, queue-jumping. I'm of the opinion that the death penalty needs reintroducing for queue-jumping.

The doors opened at 10am on the dot and everyone rushed in. In my attempt to get to the correct aisle I managed to trample over a couple of coffin dodgers, a teenager and a woman in a wheelchair. One woman crammed 4 of the units into her trolley and would have taken more had not another woman remonstrated with her. It was getting rather ugly.

I managed to nab one without upsetting anyone unnecessarily and made it to the checkout without being mugged by a pensioner.

I'm no expert on vacuum cleaners, but Hay pronounced it rather good, so there's a satisfied customer at £50.

I'm still not sure why, but I'm totally unable to reply to comments on my blog. For the benefit of Roger, who commented yesterday, the reason I return to the start when unicycling is because a) it's better for the camera, and 2) as a newbie, you require support on both sides to mount, and the bollard provides the starboard side support.

Today's session wasn't that good, although I did have one good run that I didn't video.


No comments: