Monday 16 September 2019

Wicker Man


Overheard in the car when passing the Wicker Man on the M5:

Hay: "The Wicker Man was burned by vandals a some years ago."

Chairman: "Whoever would want to burn a wicker man? Second thoughts, don't answer that."

He's actually called The Willow Man.


Well, yesterday's planned day of kayaking at Bossington didn't go quite as planned. A certain person, who will remain nameless, assured me she'd (that's a give-away) looked up the times of high water and we should put in at 14:00. 14:00 was in fact low tide, which would have necessitated a walk over mudflats. My fault for not checking, obviously. Not only that, but the nearest access was half a mile from the beach. 

Play was abandoned and instead we visited Porlock Weir (not as bad, but it would have meant clambering over large pebbles for a couple of hundred yards) and Blue Anchor Bay (mudflats again).

Not sure if I've given my readers this bit of advice before, but if you ever buy a paddleboard, don't be persuaded to buy one of those expensive electric pumps for a couple of hundred quid. I found an adaptor for an ordinary, electric tyre pump that cost me no more than £12, which fits SUPs perfectly.


It transpires that my brother-in-law, Perry, used to windsurf in his younger days and has assured me he'll give me some lessons before too long. Apparently he was very good at it, but he tells me he'll be very rusty now. Not as rusty though as someone who has never done it before.


No comments: