Monday 23 September 2019

Shepherd Chic for Pelé


Regarding the shepherd's hut we stayed in Friday and Saturday nights - I forgot to mention that I never knew shepherds lived is such luxury. High Speed Wi-Fi, hot and cold running water, a shower and WC, a huge double bed with Marks and Spencer bedding and a nicely furnished kitchen area. They're obviously not as impoverished as we're led to believe.

I've done a bit of research into these shepherd's huts and they are magnificent abodes while lambing.





On the basis of these, I want to be a shepherd and I no longer feel sorry for Gabriel Oak in Far From the Madding Crowd...

Looking forward to the arrival of my unicyle today.

Here's a conundrum. I was watching the closing credits of the film Escape to Victory yesterday afternoon and spotted Pelé as being credited with the football plays, as well as playing a part in the film, Now why does Pelé have an accent on the last e? The two 'e's are pronounced identically and thus the accent is superfluous. Perhaps a native Portuguese speaker can enlighten me?


2 comments:

Southportred said...

The accent on the second e was to differentiate him from Pele, a well known Brazilian TV chef who was tragically eaten by an alligator while foraging for micro herbs in a remote area of Mato Grosso state. Pele's legacy was cemented by his family's move into pet food after his death. See: https://www.petlove.com.br/organnact-pele-food-pele-e-pelo-20-comprimidos-palataveis-1019723/p

Geo. said...

I don't think the two 'e's are pronounced identically... https://forvo.com/word/pel%C3%A9/
(I could recommend a couple of TV chefs for a bit of micro herb foraging)