Thursday 30 April 2020

Clean Petrol Futures


Has anyone else finished watching their Nexflix yet?

Dominic Raab, during PMQs, stated yesterday that the artificial December 31st deadline for a Brexit deal has to be met to provide businesses with certainty. I guess that can only be the certainty of a double recession and that, for many, it won't be worth the effort of clawing their way back from the covid experience, so they might as well shut up shop for good within the next couple of months. That's certainly the case for the automotive industry - this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for the company I work for and I'm already looking for a new job, which is a tad fraught at age 65. Thanks, Boris.

Had a great idea, what with the price of petrol being at its lowest for decades. My local filling station is suffering because there's not much call for fuel at present. So, if I go there and have a word with the manager, I could offer him a much welcome £1,000 in return for £1,000 worth of petrol at today's price, but to call on that option at any time in the future in order to fill up my car. I'd just be storing it at his facility. The problem is that he'd probably charge me storage...

Another item we've started to make ourselves, besides sourdough bread, kefir and yoghurt is cleaning products - specifically washing up liquid, using just a grated soap bar and a dash of washing soda.


I bought some bars of soap at the start of the lockdown and, despite washing our hands many times a day, we're still on our first bar. Unlike liquid soap, bars of soap are practically immortal. The main problem is the lack of suds which, with commercial products, tends to be an indicator of the correct amount. Hay has experimented with different amounts of the homemade stuff, but the same squirt as one would normally give seems to be more than adequate. It is, however, quite gloopy and the consistency of egg whites - pour it out of a jug and the whole lot slimes out like it has a life of its own.

Hay's also going to have a go at washing powder using the same ingredients, but in different quantities Time was when Lux sold soap flakes - remember them? I believe they're still available in some parts of the world, but I haven't seen them in UK shops.

While calling in at our local SPAR for some supplies, I noticed that one of the pubs on the High Street has halfheartedly power washed its pavement frontage.


What makes me conclude it was executed by a bored teenager on work experience?


No comments: