Friday 17 April 2020

The Saga of Trigger's Ride-on-Mower (Again)


A simple question - is Boris on SSP?

I boarded Trigger's Ride-on-Mower yesterday, intending to give the grass a light crop before the rain starts today. One pass of the area near the house (with grass box on, so as not to infuriate Hay with grass clippings on the patio) and the drive belt gave up the ghost.

I've replaced numerous deck belts over the years - about 1.5 per annum on average - but have never replaced the drive belt and, frankly, wasn't looking forward to having to accomplish the task at some stage. The one that was on it had been on for the 6 years since I bought the mower 2nd hand, and God knows how long prior to that. Probably since new on 2007.

Spent all afternoon disassembling it, reassembling it, disassembling it again (due to me having forgot something) reassembling it, disassembling it again (something was put on back to front). Didn't have any manual or diagrams to go by and it was all by feel and guesswork. There are Youtube videos out there, but none for my specific make and model.

Finally at 6pm I had it all back together. I took another 10 minutes attaching the deck and threading the deck drive belt round all the pulleys.


At 6.10pm I switched her on and turned the ignition. A click of the solenoid, but she wouldn't crank. Obviously I'd disturbed something within the starting circuit. Such a let down.

Oh, well - the work schedule for today is sorted, providing the rain holds off...


No comments: