Sunday 19 April 2020

Mower - Day 3


An amusing meme that had me chuckling...


The issue with the mower has been solved.

Remote diagnostics by my brother and a friend (both of the engineering fraternity) deduced that the bendix on the starter motor had stuck.

I removed the engine cover to access the flywheel and starter motor, but the starter was behaving just as it should, except that there wasn't sufficient power to turn the flywheel. While the flywheel could be turned with two hands and a lot of oomph, I couldn't help feeling it should be much looser than that. 

Under instruction of my two engineering mentors, I removed the spark plug. The flywheel still felt stuck. I was then advised to check whether the clutch was engaged - despite the lever being in the disengaged position, if somewhat tight.

I got Hay to attempt a start while I kept an eye on the drive belt at the back of the mower and, sure enough, the engine was trying to drive the rear wheels. I'd obviously misaligned the clutch actuator during the reassembly.

Later today, once the weather has warmed up, the mower will once more be placed on its side (with the fuel switched off this time) and I'll disassemble, adjust and reassemble the gubbins, as we experts call the stuff hanging off the driveshaft.

At least I've found the cause of my erratic night mowing.


A completely molten connector to the headlights. Must have been like that for ages.


No comments: