Monday 14 December 2020

The Extended vs The Unextended II

We extended the new dinning table yesterday, ready for Christmas. It's a one person operation and very easy to do. 4 legs drop down from the carcass to support the weight of the extended halves. It easily seats 8 and, at a push, 10.


There's slight damage to the surface of one of the leaves, which is easily repaired by French polishing.


I learned how to French polish in my 20s, but that was a long time ago and doing an entire table top of this size could be a tad daunting, so I think it's worth spending a bit on a professional. I've asked for a quote from a guy in Yate who does French polishing and furniture restoration - watch this space; I may yet be tackling it myself, depending on the quote.

Given French polish is somewhat unstable, being particularly susceptible to heat and moisture, I may ask the restorer to lacquer the top with something a bit more durable, but not till after Christmas.


No comments: