Sunday 19 December 2021

AndersonVision Gardening

With not much going on in the paid work front, I've taken the opportunity to get some longstanding jobs around the house out of the way.

One that's been plaguing me for ages is erecting a support for a climbing rose and a wisteria I purchased in summer. I opted for a wire support using eyes screwed into the house verticals. Took me most of Friday, as the rendering on the main house supporting walls hid concrete breeze blocks, which are like drilling into diamond.



Using the best AndersonVision (you can't see the wires) I've shown the results, but you can just make out the turnbuckles used to tighten the wire and the eyes screwed into the end piers and oak uprights.

The main problem now is to ensure the wisteria doesn't manage to creep under the oak cladding and start prising the cladding off.

Think I may try some espalier fruit trees in the spring, or repeat this on the other side of the house with different plants. Suggestions for suitable climbing plants welcome. Actually, I could use the wires to hang Christmas lights off this year.

Talking of espalier, we came to the static this weekend to add a few touches and had a wander around South Cerney. I spotted a house with a huge espaliered tree on one side - and when I say huge, it was the entire height of the house. No idea what kind of tree it is and a regret not having taken a photo, although I may take one today.

I've been intending to get Trigger's Ride-on-Lawnmower into the revamped garage since it was completed, but the mower just wouldn't start - it's been out in the garden receiving the full brunt of the weather since the last cut nearly 2 months ago. Finally managed to give it a jump start from the car and get it in the garage where, hopefully, the dry conditions will give it at least another year of life.


I must give it a de-rust and a lick of paint before it gets wheeled out again next year. I also desperately need to find a seat cover, as the existing one is ripped and the foam is waterlogged, resulting in a wet bum every time I mow the lawn.  I usually try to avoid this by using a carrier bag on the seat, but it doesn't always work. Having it out of the weather may give it chance to dry out thoroughly.


No comments: