Monday 14 February 2022

Sartorial Solutions

I think I have finally solved the issue of older people becoming less sartorially elegant.

I noticed the other day that a different pair of trousers had risen to the top of my trouser drawer and so put them on. This was unusual and could only have come about because my usual two pairs were simultaneously in the wash.

It's the same with my T shirt and shirt drawer and my jumper / hoodie drawer - for the sake of simplicity I wear whatever happens to be on top, with no regard for whether the colours or styles match or compliment each other.


When I take clothes off and put them in the wash, they're invariably washed and dried the same day, so what I took off this last night will be back on top of the pile by the end of today. 

This results in two basic sets of clothes, which may accidentally get mixed up, but the stuff further down doesn't see the light of day until there's a change in the weather and I move from trousers to shorts. At that point, two pairs of shorts gravitate to the top of the pile and the process is repeated with the summer gear - just two sets which may or may not contain colours and styles that match my other clobber.

I honestly can't remember when I last wore a suit, shirt and tie - it was probably for my wedding in 2016. Suits and DJs are now reserved for funerals and the once a year school reunion dinner, which I haven't attended for the last 3 years anyway because of Covid. I won't even be attending this year's, as it's in Edinburgh, which is a little too far for a weekend.


No comments: