Saturday 23 April 2022

Busy, Busy, Busy

Easter weekend was a busy time - more lampshades.

Another 2 variants - zebra stripe and musical notes. Building up quite a collection now - even sold a couple to friends.

However, it's definitely the resin itself that's causing the allergy - it's called contact dermatitis and can arise months after the first exposure. 

I used gloves throughout the manufacturing process this time and had no reaction, but did have a slight reaction on handling the completed lampshades when showing them off to friends and relatives. This may curtail the start of a nice little business, unless I can outsource the manufacturing to child labour.

I have one more set to make from the material Hay bought me for my birthday.


After a suggestion from a friend and a little research, I'm going to try polyester casting resin instead of epoxy and have a 5kg pack on order. It's also much cheaper than epoxy, thus reducing overall cost - a 5kg pack of polyester costs the same as 2kg of epoxy.


No comments: