Sunday 22 September 2013

Moore Bacon Please


It's nearly the end of September - time to get the sprouts on the boil for Christmas!

We went to Oxford yesterday to see the Henry Moore and Francis Bacon exhibition at the Ashmolean. 

While I like Moore (despite his stuff being a cliché for every new bank or FTSE HQ in the 50s and 60s), I never much liked Bacon's stuff. His lover was chap called George Dyer, who was also his muse. I have reached the conclusion that Bacon must have really hated him in order to disfigure Dyer's face in almost every painting of him.



While we were shopping for some underwear in Primani (hers, not mine) I heard a trendy couple calling after their children, Elle and Hudson. Who am I to judge? Yet it did make me smile.

On the way into Oxford we visited The Trout, the Thames-side venue for many of the pub scenes from the Morse detective series. I remember the place from some 15 or 20 years ago - dark and dank. It's been completely transformed into a 70 to 150 cover fine dining establishment with the most incredible designer lighting. Morse would turn in his MkII Jaguar if he saw it now.


No comments: