Monday 6 November 2017

Islamic Spice Carpet


When having a look around St Andrew's church in Castle Combe on Saturday I spotted something quite unusual, which I'd never seen before. Tucked away in a corner of the church, near the altar, were a couple of chaps on their knees - at first I thought they were engaged in making some brass rubbings, but on closer inspection they transpired to be a couple of Muslims performing salah, one of their five daily prayers. Apparently it's not forbidden by Islam, although some hard liners would differ.

I saw this image on Facebook yesterday:


It was an avert for Intel and is a printed circuit board, but at first I thought it was an advert for a contemporary Persian rug. If it were a rug, I wouldn't mind one - love the colours.

It's the time of year when the BBC Countryfile programme is advertising its calendars. We don't have calendars on our walls and I wondered why calendar makers don't investigate digital calendars for use on mobiles or laptops. There was an item on last night's Countryfile about a farmer in the UK who has entered the saffron market by growing autumn-flowering crocuses. Don't know about you, but I've never found saffron to taste of anything. If I use it at all, it's as a food colouring and not as a flavouring. 

No comments: