Monday 29 April 2019

Observing Nazis


Finally made The Change yesterday and dumped the Sunday Times, which I've read for many years, in favour of The Observer. It has been a long time coming, but the Rod Liddle and Dominic Lawson Spectator coterie have done it for me as the paper moves further and further to the right. It has become a paper for those who want to be told what to do, how to think and how to formulate a denialist agenda of pure ideology.

We watched Where Eagles Dare for the umpteenth time over the weekend. I love this film - it has all the usual central casting Germans. I was surprised to find out that the bloke who plays the SS captain von Hapen is actually British - one Derren Nesbitt. I was certain he was German.


I always wondered how in the 50s and 60s film makers managed to get Germans to play Nazis - it must have been humiliating for them.

What always makes me laugh is that you'd think that the British/American commando group led by Richard Burton would have been exposed so easily by the fact they spoke English to the Germans.

There's a scene with a helicopter, but it's certainly not a WWII German helicopter, which had plane fuselages - it's actually an American Bell 47, which wasn't developed till 1946.



No comments: