Thursday 7 November 2019

Scam Alert


What with me being 65 and officially a pensioner next March, I'm receiving letters with all manner of useless advice from all my pension companies, of which there are over half a dozen. Must cost the buggers a fortune - which means it costs me a fortune. Can't remember when my pension pots last increased in value; year after year I receive notifications that the pot is smaller than the previous year. I'd have been better served sinking the money into diesel-powered nuns. Seriously though, I would certainly have made more money by putting my pension contributions into a savings account.

The way to spot a pension scam these days is to see if an advert has the word pension in it. That's a sure sign it's a scam. It doesn't matter what company is providing it, it's still a scam. They persuade you to put a portion of your wages into it, cream off a load of profit and ensure the amount left at retirement bears no resemblance to the fortune you ploughed into it.


I'm also starting to notice old blokes in their old bloke uniforms. You know what I mean - a flat cap of some green, tartan material; a short, gabardene coat of a similar khaki hue; fawn, cavalry twill trousers; a Tattersall checked shirt like the ones country people are meant to wear, a regimental or woven tie,  a tweed jacket, Fair Isle jumper and medium-brown lace-up brogues or Hush-Puppies. The ensemble is normally completed by a pair of spectacles, a shopping bag and a sensible car. Hope that's not my future.


No comments: