Tuesday 30 May 2023

Inflation

While we've been away in Broadway in the motorhome, the rate of inflation hit me hard.


Firstly, we went for dinner with Hay's dad and his partner, who were staying in a local hotel. I spotted that they had Jam Shed Shiraz on the wine list. Now I can buy this at Tesco for £7 at retail value; I'm sure that it can be bought for £6 at wholesale rates, if not less. The price being charged by the hotel was £31 - that's more than 5 times the price and tantamount to price gouging. You expect to pay 2 or 3 times the retail price, but not more than 5 times. It's not as if the food prices were low either - fish and chips was £18, as compared to under £15 in a local hostelry.


I bought a couple of Cook meals from the local Co-Op for us to eat in the motorhome on our last night. The single portions were pitifully small and wouldn't even satisfy the hunger of a small child, so I had to buy 2 x 2 person portions at £8.95 each to give is a decent meal for two. Very nice they were too, but I'm certain they've reduced the portion sizes to maximise profit.


No comments: